The following topics represent Prof. Ludois’s current areas of interest. The papers in each area are select works and do not encompass all publications. For the most up-to-date list of patents, conference papers, and journal publications, please visit Dr. Ludois’s Google Scholar page via the button below.
- B. Ge, A. N. Ghule and D. C. Ludois, “High Torque Density Macro-scale Electrostatic Rotating Machines: Electrical Design, Generalized d-q Framework, and Demonstration,” in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 1225-1238, March-April 2019. (OPEN ACCESS)
- B. Ge; A. Ghule; D.C. Ludois, “A 3D Printed Fluid Filled Electrostatic Rotating Machine Designed with Conformal Mapping Methods,” in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 4348-4359, Sept.-Oct. 2017.
- B. Ge and D. C. Ludois, “Dielectric liquids for enhanced field force in macro scale direct drive electrostatic actuators and rotating machinery,” in IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1924-1934, August 2016.
- B. Ge and D. C. Ludois, “Design Concepts for a Fluid-Filled Three-Phase Axial-Peg-Style Electrostatic Rotating Machine Utilizing Variable Elastance,” in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 2156-2166, May-June 2016.
Wireless Power Transfer
- Dai, S. S. Hagen and D. C. Ludois, “High Efficiency Multiphase Capacitive Power Transfer in Sliding Carriages with Closed-Loop Burst-Mode Current Control,” in IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. Early Access
- Dai and D. C. Ludois, “Capacitive Power Transfer Through a Conformal Bumper for Electric Vehicle Charging,” in IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1015-1025, Sept. 2016.
- Dai, J.; Ludois, D.C., “A Survey of Wireless Power Transfer and a Critical Comparison of Inductive and Capacitive Coupling for Small Gap Applications,” in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol.30, no.11, pp.6017-6029, Nov. 2015
- Dai, J.; Ludois, D.C., “Single Active Switch Power Electronics for Kilowatt Scale Capacitive Power Transfer,” in IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol.3, no.1, pp.315,323, March 2015
- Ludois, D.C.; Erickson, M.; Reed, J., “Aerodynamic Fluid Bearings for Translational and Rotating Capacitors in Non-Contact Capacitive Power Transfer Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol.50, no.2, pp.1025-1033, March-April 2014.
Wound Field Synchronous Machines (Brushless Excitation, Control, Design)
- A. Di Gioia; I. P. Brown; R. Knippel; S. Hagen; D.C. Ludois; Y. Nie; J. Dai; C. Alteheld, “Design and Demonstration of a Wound Field Synchronous Machine for Electric Vehicle Traction With Brushless Capacitive Field Excitation,” in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 1390-1403, March-April 2018.
- Nie, I. P. Brown and D. C. Ludois, “Deadbeat-Direct Torque and Flux Control for Wound Field Synchronous Machines,” in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 2069-2079, March 2018.
- J. Dai; S. Hagen; D.C. Ludois; I.P. Brown, “Brushless Synchronous Generator Field Excitation and Voltage Regulation via Capacitive Coupling through a Journal Bearing,” in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 3317-3326, July-Aug. 2017.
- Ludois, D.C.; Reed, J. K.; Hanson, K.; “Capacitive Power Transfer for Rotor Field Current in Synchronous Machines,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol.27, no.11, pp.4638- 4645, Nov. 2012
Power Electronics Component Integration
- A. Schroedermeier and D. C. Ludois,”Integrated Inductor and Capacitor With Co-Located Electric and Magnetic Fields,” in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 380-390, Jan.-Feb. 2017.
Bearing Current Mitigation
- Ludois, D.C.; Reed, J.K., “Brushless Mitigation of Bearing Currents in Electric Machines Via Capacitively Coupled Shunting,” in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol.51, no.5, pp.3783-3790, Sept.-Oct. 2015.
Modular Multilevel Converters
- Ludois, D.C.; Venkataramanan, G., ” “Simplified Terminal Behavioral Model for a Modular Multilevel Converter,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol.29, no.4, pp.1622, 1631, April 2014.
- Ludois, D.C.; Reed, J. K.; Venkataramanan, G., “Hierarchical Control of Bridge-of-Bridge Multilevel Power Converters,”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol.57, no.8, pp.2679-2690, Aug. 2010
- Ludois, D.C.; Venkataramanan, G.; “An Examination of AC/HVDC Power Circuits For Interconnecting Bulk Wind Generation with the Electric Grid.” Energies 3, no. 6: 1263-1289. 2010.